- The analyst role
The analyst role is the first stage in a management consultant’s career. It is a highly demanding job – we will expect a lot from you, but you will receive first class training and will gain valuable experience with which to build a successful career. CIL analysts are an integral part of our project teams, and over their first year will be expected to:
- Grasp new business models quickly, typically working on a different project every four to six weeks.
- Take responsibility for testing commercial hypotheses through collecting and interrogating primary and secondary research.
- Carrying out rigorous quantitative analysis of industry and internal company datasets.
- Play a key role in debating and refining hypotheses with the project manager and project leader, drafting clear & concise output for inclusion in the final report once agreed.
- Meet clients and help present our findings – we firmly believe that early client exposure is a great way to learn and develop.
- Help coach others. We have two new graduate intakes each year so after six months, our analysts will be expected to support new joiners in their own development.
- What it’s like to work at CIL
We are supportive, non-hierarchical, hard-working, unpretentious and direct. We don’t take ourselves too seriously.
Although we work in structured project teams, we are socially very equal, lively and inclusive. There are no corner offices, no private fiefdoms, no cliques – we work in open-plan offices and are not political. We think a ‘culture’ is something larger firms have to invent. Ours is the product of the individuals we employ.
We nurture each of our graduates individually. From the day you join you will be working directly with our leadership team and meeting clients. You will be making a real contribution to projects, helping to tackle complex issues and solve the challenging problems our clients face.
Don’t just take our word for it – you can find independent reviews of life at CIL on the Glassdoor website.
- Our offices
We have three offices – one in the US and two in the UK. Our US office is located in the heart of downtown Chicago, overlooking Grant Park and a short walk from Lake Michigan. Our London office is close to Bank and St Paul’s tube stations and within easy reach of most parts of London. Our third office is located in the English market town of Frome, near Bath. Through our Frome office, we can offer outstanding opportunities to pursue a career that has the pace and challenge of a city role while enjoying the benefits of working in beautiful Somerset. The vibrant cities of Bristol and Bath are just a short drive away.
“I work at CIL because I get to do work I enjoy with people I like. The short projects mean the work is always changing and there are plenty of opportunities for you to take on new challenges. You’ll also get to work with a great range of smart people who will ensure you are always learning and laughing.” Andrew Tomlinson, senior analyst, Frome office
“I first joined CIL as a summer intern and felt immediately welcome. There were various social events organised including T20 cricket and charity runs, which helped get to know everyone. Returning as an analyst was like coming back to old friends. The office is an open and supportive space with lots going on, such as the weekly Friday quiz or drinks. We are located in the City which has a great selection of places to grab lunch and eat by St Paul’s in the sun or with everyone in the CIL kitchen. We are an active group and like to dedicate time outside of work for our own interests from hockey to pottery.” Harriet Barker, analyst, London office
“Being asked to move from London to Chicago is a great opportunity for me and my career. While being on the other side of the Atlantic I still feel part of the broader CIL team but it also gives me fantastic exposure to our American clients.” Oliver Harrison, analyst, Chicago office
- Diversity and inclusion
“We are committed to recruiting talent from across the full spectrum of background and identity, and then supporting that talent to flourish at CIL and beyond.” Sebastian Chambers, managing partner
CIL is a place where employees can build long-term careers, regardless of their gender, faith, sexuality or socio-economic backgrounds. We have a number of initiatives in place to support this, including our Women in Leadership network and our partnership with UpReach – a phenomenal charity that helps disadvantaged students from across the UK achieve their career potential. You can reach more about upReach here:
- Women in leadership
CIL is committed to attracting and developing female consultants and offers extensive networking opportunities, access to mentoring support and the potential for flexible working. We run an insight day specifically for potential female applicants every Autumn in our London office.
“The women in consulting insight day gave me an opportunity to talk to women who work for CIL, asking their honest opinions on working in the company. It was great to have the chance to meet women at all stages of their careers and hear the plans in place to make CIL a great company for women to work for.” Hannah, senior analyst, London office
As a boutique consultancy, we pride ourselves on being flexible to the needs and circumstances of every single employee. The main benefits we offer to our people include:
- Rapid, meritocratic progression, with exposure to clients right from the start.
- A high quality training programme delivered within a hugely supportive learning environment (including structured training modules to take you from analyst to partner and financial support to study for relevant qualifications).
- Outstanding remuneration.
- Participation in our generous company bonus scheme.
- Company pension and life assurance schemes.
- Option to join company private healthcare scheme.
- Generous holiday entitlements with options to take additional leave each year.
- Flexible working options, with little travel and the potential to work from home.
- Initiatives to limit weekend working and to give time back in lieu of long hours worked.
- Regular company events and socials, as well as post-project team meals.
- An incredible company culture, with support to pursue activities and interests outside of work.
- Sabbatical and secondment opportunities as you progress through the company.
- Criteria for applicants
We have very strict qualification criteria for applying to CIL. These are:
- Outstanding academic record from a world class university, any discipline.
- At the time of starting their employment, the successful candidate must have the right to work in the applicable office location (ie US or UK). Unfortunately, we do not offer visa sponsorship for graduate analysts.
- Excellent numeracy and completely fluent written and spoken English.
- Other language skills are an advantage, with many of our assignments featuring an international element. We’re particularly keen to meet candidates with business-level fluency in French, German, Spanish, Swedish and Danish.
- Available positions
We are currently accepting applications our Frome and Chicago offices for the following intakes:
- April 2019
- September 2019
- April 2020
We are also accepting applications from penultimate year students for 8-week summer internships in our Frome office.
To apply, please visit our external application portal here.
You’ll need to state clearly in your application which office (Frome or Chicago) and start date you are applying for.
Applications for the London office are now closed and will re-open in Autumn 2019.